Re: Yet another question

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Cees de Groot wrote:
> liv@duke.edu said:
> > 3) Why is <Rant> not a DocBook tag? Seriously... I had always assumed
> > (when I heard that the LDP was switching from LinuxDoc to DocBook)
> > that that went that DocBook had a well developed set of tools to work
> > with, just like LinuxDoc.
> We've tried at the SGMLtools project, but there was lack of interest to help
> out making it better. In the meantime, apparently the net.gods at the LDP
> decided to help further yet another toolkit around DocBook (I presume these
> are based on Mark Galassi's scripts). Splitting up prematurely doesn't seem to
> be an optimal way to get good tools, or to get stylesheet modifications
> widespread....
> [history: when we wanted to convert from Linuxdoc to DocBook with SGMLtools, I
> spent a lot of time looking for existing stuff. Mark's scripts already
> existed, but - at least at that time - they were a bunch of quick hacks to get
> things going. So we designed a clean Python shell from scratch and repeatedly
> invited everyone to join in, tried to persuade the LDP to switch to DocBook,
> but I cannot remember ever getting much response. I'm not fingerpointing,
> people were probably all too busy, but it surely has been a heck of a missed
> change]

That's unfortunate. The old sgmltools were excellent, and the new ones
(while not perfect) are a damn sight better than jade and such. Good
luck... maybe once I finish my thesis I'll be able to help out.

	    "Summertime... and the living is easy...
	    fish are jumping and the cotton is high...
	    So hush, little baby, baby don't you cry."