Re: date formats

On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 12:25:53AM -0800, David Lawyer wrote:

> > David Lawyer wrote:
> > > But a lot of people will be confused by this.  If the doc is is
> > > English, why not use the existing date format?
>
> On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 09:10:22AM -0500, Sandy Harris wrote:
> > Because anything but that standard creates confusion.
> :
> How can "4 February 1995" (LDP's present "standard") create confusion?
> The doc is in English and as it was pointed out, anyone able to read
> the doc should be able to also read the date.  And anyone able to
> translate the doc should also be able to easily translate the date.
>
> 			David Lawyer
>

> --

This is desperately Anglo-centric.  The ISO date is a good numeric sort.
If I see a HOWTO that is, say, in Russian / Croatian / Romanian that says
Foo-HOWTO 2000-04-02 and I know that the English Foo-HOWTO is 02/04/2000 -
do I translate the English one into Russian ?  Does it matter if the writer
of the English howto is English or American ??

I may not be sure of the dates in Catalan / transliterated Cantonese - but
I can do a numeric sort.

HTH,

Andy