Re: date formats

David Merrill wrote:
[snip]
> {Jan, Feb, etc} regardless of the language doesn't make sense. I like
> YYYY-MM-DD because 1) it is language-independent, 2) it follows the
> ISO standard 3) it is easily parsed 4) it is unambiguous.
>
> In support of 4):
>
> AFAIK, nobody uses YYYY-MM-DD. The ambiguous dates are those where the
> year falls last (US usage is MM-DD-YYYY while English (and others) is
> DD-MM-YYYY).

Trivia: In Japan they use YYYY-MM-DD, often with kanji for year, month
and day. Inother countries people use "/" rather than "-" to separate
the fields. Al in all it is a complete mess.

Also I believe there is a GNU package that deals with most date formats
in use and also tries to some extent guess format of a given string.
	http://www.gnu.org/manual/glibc-2.0.6/html_chapter/libc_17.html

"This chapter describes functions for manipulating dates and times,
 including functions for determining what the current time is and
 conversion between different time representations. "

Regards,
   Stein Gjoen