Re: Publicity via the LWN

On Oct 24,  8:16pm, Stein Gjoen wrote:
> Subject: Re: Publicity via the LWN
> Taking up this thread once more...
>
> "David C. Merrill, Ph.D." wrote:
> >
> > Hey everybody,
> >
> > Do you think it would be a good idea to do a weekly update to
> > the LWN on additions and enhancements to our documents? I'm
> > thinking about something simple, that would not take a lot of
> > time or effort for somebody to do. For example, compiling the
> > "update" announcements that we get from Greg Ferguson
> > into a single weekly update to be included in the "Development"
> > section of the LWN. A paragraph summarizing other goings-on with
> > the project would be great, too. Maybe even a "to do" list.
>
> This thread started out well but in the end noone volunteered. I just
> found a few spare minutes and hacked up a few lines for next proposed
> submission:
> 	http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/lwn3.html

Stein -

I'd like to see the "Authors" area mentioned as an area to go for:

  - pointers to author-oriented resources (templates, tools, etc),
  - lists of documents that require markup or maintainence,
  - registering to assist with the LDP, etc.

  http://www.linuxdoc.org/authors/

If anyone has suggestions on how to improve that area of the
LDP site, let me know.

It would also be worthwhile mentioning the "LDP Author Guide"
with a pointer - http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/
- a good place to start for those that may wish to become involved.

As for the previous discussion concerning weekly updates,
we should be able to easily cull those out of the ldp-announce
archives (http://www.linuxdoc.org/archives/ldp-announce/maillist.html);
picking up those emails that were sent for a given time period,
stripping off the headers/footers, putting them into a template.

I can work on scripting that if we get someone to either make
the post itself, or find out if the submission can be automated.
Or should we just string this onto the monthly submission?

Any additional suggestions or thoughts?

> Also, in order to help whoever volunteers to take on this
> task, I have made a template
> 	http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/lwn_tplt.html
> (I seem to make a few of these...) which  helps keeping in
> style with the LWN, saving them work when including this.
>
> Feedback, anyone? A link to a summary of the classifications
> discussion so far would also beuseful.

Yes, and mention the review process as well.

r,

Greg Ferguson     - s/w engr / mtlhd         | gferg at sgi.com
SGI Tech Pubs     - http://techpubs.sgi.com/ |
Linux Doc Project - http://www.linuxdoc.org/ | gferg at metalab.unc.edu