psgml cannot find doctype?

I'm attempting to follow the ldp author guide, but have run into a roadblock
editing files with psgml.  If you could help, I'd appreciate it.

Here's the error:  I've been following step-by-step through the HOWTO, and
everything seems to work up until I reach this point in
http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/editing.html

 3.5.1.1.4. Writing a New HOWTO in DocBook
 Start a new file for your HOWTO and enter the following:
 <!DOCTYPE ARTICLE PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN">

I type this in emacs, and my second buffer spits out:
  External entity ARTICLE not found
  Public identifier -//OASIS//DTD DocBook V4.1//EN

I've got SGML_CATALOG_FILES exported to the catalog files as indicated in the
HOWTO, my .emacs edited to what's indicated, but no dice.  Have you run into
this problem before, and do you have a quick fix?  I'm off to try sgedit, and
have successfully compiled stuff to HTML with Jade, but psgml is driving me
nuts.

  I'm sure this is just some boneheaded thing I overlooked -- please pardon
my newbie-ness!

--
Matthew P. Barnson        Manager, Systems Administration
Excite@Home                 mbarnson@excitehome.net