Summit in NC from Sep 29 to Oct 1

Any LDP member/author/translator/otherwise involved is welcome
to attend the GNU/Linux Documentation Project summit in Chapel
Hill, NC

We will physically discuss our current work and involvement, and
try to find new ideas for the LDP future.

If you intend to attend to this summit, please reply to
this message and indicate your name and email :

Attendee :
Email :

If you think a organization or an individual should also be invited,
please reply to this message and write  his name. The limit of 1
attendee by organization can be waived under a legitimate reason.

Inviting :
The summit will be held in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, from Sep 29
to Oct 1. The schedule, the speakers list, and the details about
discussed topics will be posted soon.

------------------

Why?

We have been discussing of many improvements the last weeks,
especially regarding the documentation formats, the licenses, etc.
The OReilly summit in August did help a lot, but 1. not everybody
could/did attend, 2. while it started some ideas projects, they still
have to be implemented, 3. it was hosted by a commercial
publisher which may have been a problem for several attendees.

When?

The last week of september is the date most people I have been
talking with did prefer. Moreover, it is just 2 days after the Linux
Expo Brasil. People who will have to attend the LEB will still have
time to come to the summit and without spoiling another week.

Who?

Only a handsome of people should attend. The OReilly conference
did help us a lot since we were just enough to talk about the
problems and the solutions without starting endless debates.

The policy is :
 - Any LDP member with a limit of 8 attendees.
 - 1 representative per free project (KDP, GDP...)
 - 1 representative per Linux distribution or publisher

What?

We will discuss the 3 following major issues, concerning both the
LDP/other free documentation projects and commercial publishers :

  - the license policy : what documents will be rejected, what will
be the LDP standard on accepting free or non free documents
  - the OPL non A non B and GFDL compatibility : these 2 licenses
are the preferred ones. Would it be possible to add
"intercompatibility clauses" allowing cross licensing of small parts
to be relicensed from one license to the other ?
  - the documentation formats : is it time for a major move, for ex
dropping linuxdoc?
  - the collaboration with linux distributions : how can the distribution
help the free documentation projects ? the documents we make
can be used by anyone and are an important part of the 'help'
available freely on the internet.
  - the collaboration with commercial publishers : as more and
more  books are released by OReilly, OpenDocs, (...) under free
licenses,  could we set up a gentlemen agreement between the
publisher who  would agree 1. to use a license from a agreed pool
of free documentation licenses having intercompatibility clauses 2.
not to reprint a competitor book released under a free
documentation  license ?