Re: Idea : common dir and tree (Rep:Re: Why not create packages?)

    Stein> Many would expect to find a /usr/share/doc/HOWTO from the
    Stein> old days so we might make a link.

    Stein> Then again the /usr/share/HOWTO might contain non-LDP
    Stein> HOWTOs such as those from OSWG in which case we shouldn't
    Stein> make links that gives the impression LDP HOWTOs are the
    Stein> only ones.

I agree with you on this. I think we should keep /usr/share/HOWTO. If
you must include a LDP directory, it might be /usr/share/HOWTO/LDP (in
this case we might also have /usr/share/HOWTO/OSWG).

    >> DocBrowser could easilly parse both directories, the later
    >> superceding the former, to present the users a good interface
    >> to documentation.

    Stein> It might be an idea to make allowances for /opt/OSWG
    Stein> appearing.

I think that we should keep compatibility with them, but it's not an
obbligation to keep the same structures for both groups. The ideal
thing would be having only one repository of information and keep it
as common in layout as possible. Today's structure is very easy for
experienced and newbies. That's easier to say "look for the HOWTO XYZ"
than "look for the LDP HOWTO XYZ. If it's not an LDP HOWTO, it might
be an OSWG one. Or it might also be somebody else's HOWTO." Keeping
them all in the same place make things easy for everybody.

Regards,
--
Godoy. <godoy@conectiva.com>

Departamento de Publicações       Conectiva S.A.
Publishing Department             Conectiva Inc.