Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: First Open Source Documentation Summit at the O'Reilly Open Source Convention]]

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 10:41:49AM +0200, Camille Bégnis wrote:
> I am personally not really happy with jadetex and some others too I
> know.
> Do the other people here use it?

Extensively.

> Are you happy with it?

So-so.  It works.  But it's big, and can be fragile, and there's a lot to
document for someone new to the process.

> Do you use something else?

No.

> Did you think in developing something else?

Only for a few seconds.  Getting people to write documentation is hard
enough.  Getting people to contribute to a documentation infrastructure
project is even more difficult.

I'm waiting for the XML/XSL stuff to provide all the features we have at
the moment.  I've got an open invitation to anyone on the FreeBSD doc team
to start trying to adapt our infrastructure to the XML stuff so we can
see how far along the path it's gone, but so far no-one's done that, and
I only have a certain number of hours a day. . .

> I have unhopeful not the sufficient skills in TeX to initiate it myself,
> but we, at MandrakeSoft, are interested in participating in the project
> of developing a new solution. A completely rewritten "print" stylesheet,
> generating true LaTeX seems to be the solution.

I'd say no, because then you need to install TeX.  This is not the route
you want to go if (for example) you want to put your manual pages in
DocBook and provide a way for people to produce postscript from them.  I'd
much rather see a DocBook -> *roff converter, where the conversion process
is XML driven.