regular vs. mini HOWTO

The recent post by Aurora Skarra-Gallagher about the Cyrus mini-HOWTO
and the question about having the document as an "actual" HOWTO instead
of a "mini" HOWTO made me wonder about how one decides where your
HOWTO should go.  Is there a web page or document that outlines how
you decide?  Or has it just been self-selected?

It looks to me that broader subjects are in the "regular" HOWTOs and
more specific and narrower subjects are "mini" HOWTOs. But this does
not seem to be consistent.

It seems like this would be something worth a short paragraph in the
HOWTO-HOWTO.

Thanks,
Dan
--