Re: DocBook Submission Guidelines

"Joshua [Poet] Drake" <poet@linuxports.com> writes:

> 1. The current supported Docbook DTD version is 3.1. Please do not use
> 3.0 or 4Beta

Reason:

DocBook 4.0 has some big changes while compared to DocBook 3.1. LDP's
system only has it's configuration working for this version because
it's the latest stable one.

> 2. If you place images in your document, use jpg and eps only. (The
> Stylesheets do not currently support PNG.. Is this true?).

It is. PNG support was added in DocBook 4.0.

> 3. If you place images in your document, your must provide both formats.
> The reasoning is that the jpg's won't incorporate into the PS output.

While working with books and booklets here at Conectiva we verified
that having images as TIF files improved our presentation quality. We
use "convert" (from ImageMagick) to (guess what?) convert from TIF to
JPG and EPS.

If we have some standard places to images (say
document/images/[jpg,eps]) then we could accept tiff only and convert
then on the fly to jpg and eps files. When we adopt DocBook 4.0, it
will be easy to change things to convert them to PNG. And authors
won't have to worry with this.

Regards,
--
Godoy.	<godoy@conectiva.com>

Departamento de Publicações
Publishing Department                   Conectiva S.A.