Re: Another new mini-HOWTO

User one account wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, Gary Preckshot wrote:
>

> > It turns out that if you know about the latest LILO and what
> > happens during booting, you can solve the problem. However,
> > advice from current HOWTOs is either to use LOADLIN, write
> > LILO to the MBR, or locate the linux partition below the
> > 1024 cylinder limit. None of these is satisfying for the new
> > big disks, and with disks inclined to increase beyond 137
> > Gb, some sort of forward looking HOWTO is indicated.
> >
> > Gary
> >

> Hi,  I wrote a howto on using removable disks to manage multiple operating
> systems.  The 8GB limit was the major problem I ran into.  I'd be interested in
> your experiences/solutions whether you write a howto or not.
>
> If you want editing advice/assitance I would be happy to help.
>
> Bob

Hi, Bob,

The easiest solution is to get LILO version 21.4.1 (I got the RedHat rpm version)
and replace "linear" with "lba32" in your lilo.conf file. Then you input the
command "lilo" as root, and your boot is automatically replace with one that uses
32-bit lba sector addressing. You do need an extended bios that supports extended
int 13. This is good for disks up to 137 Gb, assuming your IDE interface goes that
big. If you use the command "lilo -v", lilo will be in verbose mode and output a
bunch of reassuring stuff.

Gary