conditional expression in LinuxDoc (Re: if SGML is so great...)

Hi.

  at Thu, 04 May 2000 23:47:19 -0400,
 pac1@tiac.net writes:

> I'd like to be able to take sets of documentation and extract the following
> kinds of information under program control:
>
> o  A list of commands with frequently used options explained
> o  A list of commands with frequently used combinations of options and
> explanations of the purpose of the combinations
> o  A list of definitions of terms used in explaining a command
> o  A list of "frequently used options and option values"
> o  A full list of options and parameters with explanations and examples
>

> In short, to be able to produce different views of the documentation not just
> in different formats, but with different levels of detail and differing focus
> in the content view.

I don't know what you want, but I think you can get some sort of
"different views with different levels of detail" using the combination
of LinuxDoc DTD and sgml-tools v1.

Please refer "SGML-Tools User's Guide 1.0, 10 Nov 1997" written by
Matt Welsh. Updated by Greg Hankins, rewritten by Eric S. Raymond.

Go to " ・ 3.9 Conditionalization" in "3. Writing Documents With SGML-Tools".
It explains the usage of <#if> </#if>, and "-D" option. Please not the original
sgml-tools 1.0.9 has a bug such that it can not handle multi definition (it can
not understand when more than one "-D" options are specified). This bug has been
found by a user of Debian package for potato, and fixed in the current (1.0.9-12).

Regards.

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>