Re: if SGML is so great...

Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> Finally, back to the real work.  :-)

> > From: Stein Gjoen [mailto:sgjoen@mail.nyx.net]
> > Greg Ferguson wrote:

I guess Ihave to read raw mapping files...

> > descriptions,
> > I usually
> >
> > These details should go into a doc for authors, perhaps the
> > HOWTO-HOWTO. I do not have continuous access to the Internet
> > to look up these things so an on-disk reference would be
> > handy. From what I hear from others I am not alone in this
> > situation.
> >
> > > There is also a tag-quick-reference table that Norm (Walsh,
> > author of
> > > DocBook: TDG) and Leonard Muellner put together...
> > >
> > >         DocBook V3.1 Quick Reference
> > >         http://www.nwalsh.com/docbook/defguide/qr/quickref.htm
> > >
> > > lists <tag> and <brief description> only; but quite handy for
> > > quick look-ups.
> >
> > I have the feeling this is DocBook DTD as opposed to the
> > LinuxDoc DTD, am I right? If so I'd like a similar reference
> > guide for the LinuxDoc DTD. Last night I took a long hard look
> > in the docs for SGMLTools and did not find what I needed there.
>
> Yep, that's DocBook.  I think that the only such reference for the
> LinuxDocDTD is the DTD itself.  If you're using an RPM based distribution,
> then 'rpm -ql sgmltools' will give you a listing where you can probably find
> the DTD itself.

I use LinuxDoc from a DEB package. I used find and grep to locate
the files but that is not optimum.

Also online docs are not anoption when I write and that is the
situation for many others too. I need useful docs on my disk.

> > Finally there is no <manpage> like tag in the mapping nor in the
> > above mentioned references. A HOWTO reference tag would also be
> > nice.
>
> I think <refentry> is the DocBook tag, but I'm not 100% sure on that; I'm
> fairly confident that LinuxDoc doesn't have anything useful for man pages.
> As for the HOWTO reference tag, what do you mean?  Godoy and I have talked
> about getting a special document type for the LDP called HOWTO, but I'm not
> sure if he made any progress on that.  I'm not sure if you're looking for
> something different in it's markup capabilities, or just in name.

My large reply crashed here so I'll rewrite it later. In summary
I feel we need more tags for our specific needs. SGML is
scalable and extensible, right?

Regards,
   Stein Gjoen