Re: DOCTYPE tags

Gerard Beekmans <gerard@linuxfromscratch.org> writes:

> using sgmltools-2 I format SGML to HTML. It creates a new directory and
> puts all the html files there. Very great, but I don't like the
> filenames it creates. I'd like to be able to choose my own filenames but
> I don't know how to do this. A while ago I read something about putting
> the <?dbhtml filename="filename.html"> tag after a <chapter> or some
> similar declaration. Sure that works, but to me that looks more like XML
> than SGML. I'd rather use a 'real' SGML tag (then again, for all I know

Maybe because XML _is_ (a simplified) SGML... :-)

> XLM is deviated from SGML. I'm not really into those things, find them
> rather confusing).
>
> So should I use <?dbhtml> (which works great as far as I can tell)  or not?

Ok... Two options here. And two things to think about:

1. Use <?dbhtml> and you'll have the right filenames. On your machine
   and on LDP.
2. Use a customization on your stylesheet that uses the "ID" attribute
   to decide on what name the file will have. You'll have the right
   name on your machine but, unless LDP has the same customization,
   names we'll be broken there.

Even if we setup this environment, someone else might not have it on
their machine...

I'd prefer using the <?dbhtml> tag. Greg Ferguson asked me a similar
question (a lot of time ago, sorry, Greg!) and I was thinking on what
to do since that time...

===

I have a proposal, but I don't know what you'll think about it.

I suggest that we, LDP, create a customized stylesheet and that we use
such customizations to easy our life.

The drawback on this is that authors will have to copy this file to
their machines to have the same appearance on their documents that
we'll have at LDP. It will ba small file (usually smaller than 5K) and
will just modify some DocBook defaults.

Please, I want to hear your opinion on this. This proposal uses the
same approach that KDE, Gnome, FreeBSD, Conectiva, and other people
who uses DocBook have adopted.
--
Godoy.	<godoy@conectiva.com.br>

Departamento de Publicações
Publishing Department                   Conectiva S.A.