Re: [oswg-dis] Re: reader comments & reviews

Terry Dawson wrote:

> Stein Gjoen wrote:
>
> > I am looking at this from the perspective of the end users and also
> > the people putting distributions together. In the past people have
> > known that the source on is the LDP site; these days a number of
> > useful HOWTOs are at the OSWG site and I feel it would be beneficial
> > if also these could be packaged in the distributions.
>
> Stein,
> if the OSWG generates sufficient volume of relevant documentation then
> it will be in the interest of the distributions to package OSWG content
> just as they do LDP content.

Already there are many interesting documents at the OSWG but can
we assume the distribution people will bundle this too? Also we
should keep the end users in mind, will they know to look into
not only the old /usr/doc/HOWTO but now also /usr/doc/OSWG or
wherever these will go?

All in all it would be simplest if it could be all bundled into
one directory, for all parties involved. It is however important
to make sure we make it clear we are not trying to hijack the
OSWG so I urge to proceed with care.

> I wouldn't be at all surprised if people aren't already making plans to
> do this.

I am confident some are thinking about this issue but how many
are left out? Check the list in the left column:
	http://lwn.net/2000/0127/dists.phtml
and ask yourself how many of these maintainers are subscribed
here and keep up to date with LDP and OSWG?

One solution would be LDP making the .rmp .deb and .tgz packages
of the archives so the packagers could just copy it into the
respective distributions.

Regards,
   Stein Gjoen