Re: "New" doc type for the LDP, FAQ?

On Jan 2, 10:33am, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> Subject: Re: "New" doc type for the LDP, FAQ?
> Guylhem Aznar wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Jan 01, 2000 at 11:41:34PM -0800, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> > > As of right now, there seems to be only 1 FAQ of the ldp site, the
linux

> > There're more than 1 !
>
> Whoops, my mistake.  It LOOKS like there's only 1, because of the way
> that things are phrased on the docs.html page.  (BTW, any chance of
> getting a link to "documents" that takes you to docs.html from the
> main page?)

I've added that (on the front page, right-hand column, first link).

> I think that we should have the FAQ section be more like the
> HOWTO section, with a little explanation of FAQ (not that the one there
> is bad) and the like.  I can write a small blurb to go there, try to
> send something to the list later.  The reason that it's confusing is
> because there are 3 things listed, 1 as HTML, the second as Linux FAQ
> (HTML) and the third as other formats.  This made me think that the
> first link was for maybe the gz HTML format, the second for online HTML
> format, and the third for others like PS or LinuxDoc source.

Ok, I/we can get that cleaned up. I agree with what you've said.

> > > FAQ.  I just read the software RAID howto (which doesn't appear
> > > maintained, anybody know?), and it's not a howto at all.  The entire
> > > document looks like a series of FAQs.  This got me thinking that
perhaps
> > > the LDP site could start maintaining some of the FAQs for
> > > comp.os.linux.*, and/or some for linux.*, as well as other "HOWTOs"
that
> > > are really FAQs.  Thoughts?
> >
> > We should contact comp.os.linux.* and linux.* FAQ authors.
> >
> > Would you like to do it?
>
> Sure, I will try to talk to them, I expect that they maintain their FAQs
> in HTML or text format, so we may have to live with that for now.  If I
> convince them, I'll try to write two proposals for the FAQ section of
> the Docs page, unless somebody takes offense, one with a links direct to
> the FAQs (since there aren't many) and one with just a link to a
> listing, as in the HOWTO-index.  Sorry for rambling, I just think I
> found a place where I can fill in here.
> 	Greg

Let me know if you need anything from me. I'd like to automate the
creation of the FAQ-index page.

--
Greg Ferguson     - s/w engr / mtlhd         | gferg@sgi.com
SGI Tech Pubs     - http://techpubs.sgi.com  | 410-785-2334