Re: Informal survey (was Re: Banner ads)

On Sun, Oct 24, 1999 at 01:04:28PM +1000, terry@animats.net wrote:
> > We could go to LI for the money, but really, where does the LI get
> > *its* money?  I don't think they sell cookies.
>
> >From its corporate membership fees.
>
> I'm not a member, but I think LI would consider supporting something of
> what you describe. It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask. It seems within
> their charter.

I can ask LI if people here agree (I believe they will, but it never
hurts to ask first)

> Frankly, having just about finished up sorting out the last of the
> paperwork for Australia's first Linux conferfence I'd say it's likely
> that you'd be able to obtain travel/accomodation sponsored by the
> conference itself so long as you were presenting an interesting enough
> paper.

Maybe authors subscribed to this list could present more LDP-related
papers ?

> I think this is still a pretty marginal and peripheral issue though.

I don't agree, Gary Lawrence Murphy is right when he says presenting
"how to make cohesive sense and timely release of free technical
documentation into a workable reality." i.e. sharing our experience is
just as important as writing the documents.

It might help us finding new authors, or convincing people that free
documentation is just as important as free software.

> We ought to get back to solving core problems before we worry too much
> about anything beyond that.

Most of the problem are being solved ; we'll soon have a new manifesto
and a new license guide.

Which core problems are you talking about?

The discussion is open to anyone, and I'm David will consider each
suggestion.

--
Guylhem Aznar, Linux Documentation Project: http://www.linuxdoc.org
PGP key: http://oeil.qc.ca/~guylhem ; Email: guylhem \@/ oeil.qc.ca