Re: sgml-tools

The following is about the sgmltools for LinuxDoc DTD.  It seems that
there is a version 1.0.11 in addition to the 1.0.10 that I previously
mentioned.  As you will note the person who created the above two
bug-fixed versions has bowed out.  So we need someone to maintain the
version 1 of these tools.  I think it should replace the current Debian
distribution sgml-tools 1.0.9.  I wrote to the Debian maintainer but get no
response.  Since a program exists to convert Debain to RPM (Redhat, etc.)
it would be possible for most people to get sgml-tools 1.0.11 pre-compiled.

Is anyone willing to work on this project?  A first step might just be to
get the source to 1.0.11 (or perhaps call it 1.0.12 after fixing the
problem I had compiling) and put it a metalab.  Eventually we may go to
DocBook DTD but for the meantime we need to keep using this 1-series of
sgml-tools.

			David Lawyer

>> >On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, David Lawyer wrote:

[To: Casantos et. al.]

>> I picked up your sgmltools 1.0.11 and get error message while compiling:
>> rtf2rtf.l:56: initializer element is not constant.
>> Ditto for line 57.
>>
>> These lines are like:
>> FILE *out = stdout;
>>
>> I guess the value of stdout (a pointer) is not known to the compiler.
>> Should these assignments go into main so they are assigned at runtime?
>> I did this and it compiled OK.  That is, I left only "FILE *out;" at the
>> start of the file and put "out = stdout;" into main.  I'm not sure if
>> this is the correct fix.
>>
>> Your new version has fixed the "too many blank lines" problem.
>>
>> 		David Lawyer

Casantos replied: