Draft Boilerplate License

Here's my draft "boilerplate" license for the Manifesto.  What do you
think of it?  Also included is the old "boilerplate" license.  You may
of course offer a counter-proposal.  This "boilerplate" would be only a
suggested short license.  It could be replaced in the future by the
GPL for documents (DGPL) which is currently being revised by Richard M.
Stallman.  If we can't agree on a new "boilerplate" license, I think
we should just remove the old one from the manifesto and for a while
have no suggested license.  Another possibility is to fix up the LDP
License, the latest version being 2.0, but I think it's better to work
on improving the DGPL.  This "boilerplate" license would be copied
into docs and not incorporated by reference to a url.  That's why it's
intentionally kept very short.

***DRAFT*** BOILERPLATE LICENSE (by David Lawyer)
-----------------------start-of-draft-----------------------------------

LINUX DOCUMENTATION PROJECT (LDP) BOILERPLATE LICENSE:
v0.1, 2 October 1999

Please freely copy and distribute (sell or give away) this document.
For corrections and minor changes contact the maintainer.  You may
create a derivative work and distribute it provided:

1. For a translation, just let the maintainer know about it.
2. For a non-translation, discuss it with the maintainer (if it is
 being maintained).  If after due deliberation no agreement with the
 maintainer can be reached, then you may proceed with the derivative
 work without the maintainer's approval.
3. Send your derivative work to the LDP (or the like) for posting
 on the Internet.  If not the LDP, then let the LDP know where it is
 available.
4. License the derivative work in the spirit of this license or
 use GPL.
5. Give due credit to previous authors and major contributors.

----------------------------end-of-draft------------------------------
EXISTING BOILERPLATE LICENSE:

   This manual may be reproduced and distributed in whole or in part,
   without fee, subject to the following conditions:
     * The copyright notice above and this permission notice must be
       preserved complete on all complete or partial copies.
     * Any translation or derived work must be approved by the author in
       writing before distribution.
     * If you distribute this work in part, instructions for obtaining
       the complete version of this manual must be included, and a means
       for obtaining a complete version provided.
     * Small portions may be reproduced as illustrations for reviews or
       quotes in other works without this permission notice if proper
       citation is given.

   :::::Exceptions to these rules may be granted for academic purposes: Write
   to the author and ask. These restrictions are here to protect us as
   authors, not to restrict you as learners and educators.

   All source code in this document is placed under the GNU General
   Public License, available via anonymous FTP from
   prep.ai.mit.edu:/pub/gnu/COPYING.