- Get the latest 2.0.x kernel sources from
ftp.kernel.org. I recommend waiting for 2.0.31,
which should be out soon (as of this writing) and fixes
some deadlocks in SMP.
- Unpack it in /usr/src
- Edit the Makefile and uncomment the SMP = 1 line near
- make config and choose your configuration.
- make clean; make dep
- make zImage; make modules
- Move the kernel into place, make modules_install
- Run lilo and reboot. Keep a known-working kernel around
to revert to
Note: You must make new modules for your
SMP kernel. Loading modules that are built for a non-SMP
kernel into an SMP kernel (and vice versa) breaks systems