This refers to Upgrade breaks several programs... in Issue 42.
From Peter Caffall on Mon, 31 May 1999
Thanks you for your detailed reply. Since I wrote, I resolved (although not yet solved) the problem. I had a free partition on my disk, which I made bootable, and installed (from scratch) the new RedHat 5.2. This came up with no real problems. Then I began moving some of the stuff from the old partition to the new. Everything works. When things settle down, and I've got everything from the old slice that I need, I will just wipe it out, and free it up.
The reference to libc.so.5.4.33 was due to a reference on another page to problems with Netscape.
Glad you got it working. If you have the disk space (on a second drive or extra partition) you could do a fresh installation of Red Hat 6.0 and then selectively migrate your configuration and data files from your old filesystems. It's sort of a slow laborious way to do upgrades, but it's one that works for me.