The Answer Gang
By Jim Dennis, Jason Creighton, Chris G, Karl-Heinz, and...
(meet the Gang) ...
the Editors of Linux Gazette...
We have guidelines for asking and answering questions. Linux questions only, please.
We make no guarantees about answers, but
you can be anonymous on request.
See also: The Answer Gang's
and the LG
¶: Greetings From Heather Stern
- DirectPad Joystick
- LN -- have I gone brain dead?
- System V or BSD?
- Yikes. --or--
- Missing libraries
...and how to find them
Greetings from Heather Stern
Hey everyone, welcome to another year with Linux Gazette and the
gang. I hope your winter went well; for most of us, it's been pouring
rain (Noah, is that ark of yours open source?) but we seem to be healthy
For my own part, I've gotten some of my silicate lifeforms a few winter
gifts. If your favorite electronic pal has been bouncing up and down you
would too. Here's a few things I got:
- For everybody in the household, we refreshed the UPSes that still work,
and got some new ones. Shiny new power for everyone.
- Memory for some of our hardworking silicate souls. In my book this pays
off much better than CPU upgrades 5 times out of 7. YMMV.
- New hard disk drives for our loyal backup Ultra 5. Getting hard to find
these smaller, slower disks... get 'em while you can.
- I got my happy plushy bot in #fvwm, our good pal and the Answer Gang's
bartender xteddy his very own crystal ball, and merged a bunch of his
code into a new script. He's more huggable than ever and serves us coffee
and stuff. It's a good thing the pretzels jar refills itself though.
- For my sleek black beastie that I use as a workstation, I got a new
video card... another Radeon, this time a 256 Meg card. Gotta have more
oomph if I'm gonna use all these workspaces or get any gaming done.
- Well, ok, it isn't really a present, we do this all the time. But full
backups when things are looking bright are so much more useful than when
they're looking frightful, so we did 'em. If you're the sort who only does
it once a year or once an upgrade, do it now while you're thinking
about it. Don't worry about us - we'll wait.
Besides that, check out the cover art I did
this month. As usual, I couldn't resist the pun when it was presented to
me. Have a good one, folks; enjoy our notes, and we'll see you next