"Linux Gazette...making Linux just a little more fun!"
In our July 1998 issue, we printed an article called LinuxCAD Impressions by Robert Wuest. In the
interest of fair play, here is the official response to that review from
Software Forge, Inc.
Official Reaction of Software Forge Inc. to "LinuxCAD Review"
To put this in context let us briefly answer the question "What is
is an AutoCAD for Linux for all practical purposes it implements
all major features of ACAD in such a way that new users (who had ACAD
do not need any additional training to start working with LinuxCAD).
But more then that LinuxCAD is a general purpose visual modelling system
that runs on
all Unix platforms (Linux, LinuxPPC, Solaris x86, RS/6000, BSDI, FreeBSD,
SCO UNIX) and on Windows NT.
LinuxCAD can be used in:
LinuxCAD as general purpose CAD and Visual Modelling System directly
with CAD system AutoCAD by Autodesk which currently approaching status of
in CAD marketplace as Microsoeft is in Operating Systems.
- Software Development Flowcharting
- Entity Relationship Diagramming
- Network planning
- System Administration Diagramming and you actually can start
your sysadmin tasks from inside LinuxCAD
- Mechanical Engineering drafting
- PCB and schematic design (easily integrated with routing programs)
- Geographicsl Information Systems,
- Any kind of drafting where integration with database is important
- Floor plans for buildings and facilities
- Architectural Drafting
- Front end for programmable rendering systems like OpenGL
- Front end for any software that may require graphics editor functions
- Can be used to replace ACAD in every application later is used!!!
Do the math yourself:
To do typical CAD works you need to install so called "AutoCAD for PCs" on
Windows NT workstation:
- AutoCAD for PCs costs $2900 a copy
- AutoCAD upgrade alone costs $400 at least or more (up to a dealer).
- Windows NT costs $200 or more.
You can replace all of the above to:
You have at the least $500 in savings per one drafters workstation,
if you are new user you will save $3000 in comparison to AutoCAD!
- Linux which is free
- LinuxCAD which is only $99
LinuxCAD indirectly competes with Microsoft as well, although we support
We do not distinguish it as main or dominant platform and we trying to level
as it relates to LinuxCAD with emphasize to Linux for Intel as main platform
LinuxCAD captures the most important aspects of ACAD as: entity selection
same dialog in the command line, object snaps (as intersect, mid, center
, tangent, perpend
and others), LinuxCAD allows to use SHX formats and can exchange data to
ACAD and many
LinuxCAD imposes tremendous threat to Autodesk, as it provides all the
AutoCAD provides including programable AutoCAD's architecture. More then that
allows smooth transition from AutoCAD to LinuxCAD without additional training.
In any case: about 70% of 2D drafting works and 50% at least of 3D works
may be done
in $99 LinuxCAD on Linux instead of $3000 Acad on Ms-NT. Every sale of
to automatic $3000 loss to Autodesk, THAT IS WHY MR ROBERT WUEST is out there
trying to discredit us. They are afraid of the LinuxCAD, the product that
has achieved that
kind of major market impact and user support as LinuxCAD has achieved, just
in one year!
They want not to allow us to grow, now when we are small, and they have
used that review
to do it. Autodesk wants again to rob the consumer from his right to choose
as they did it with Generic CADD
and many other small CAD packages! But they are not succeding this time!
Our official responce to LinuxCAD review is long overdue and here it is:
We are hard working, good guys!
Disregard that "anti-Linux" lie you may have seen in that review!
- The review does not reflect reality and it is outdated.
- The business goes as usual, we ship LinuxCAD immediately after receiving
your orders, we are continuing
our development efforts, THE QUALITY OF LINUXCAD HAS IMPROVED 10 TIMES OVER
SINCE THAT REVIEW WAS WRITTEN.
- Not one, not hundreds of organized fraudulent reviews will stop us from
commitment to our product.
- Consumers can relay on LinuxCAD in the long run, especially Enterprise
Customers will be provided
with exceptional support and with great volume discounts.
So far we have promised half year of free downloads for new versions when
we started a year ago,
and no one really has been cut off from new versions. We have denied
upgrades to only one customer:
the author of that fraudulent review.
Users of LinuxCAD are actually getting more then a year of free
upgrades and that may last even longer, we have no reason to cut people off--
we got enough new customers out there.
- The review also distorts our pricing policy:
- We sell LinuxCAD (all modules and extension included) for one flat
price - $99. (for Intel).
- $99 includes: All 2D, 3D, printing, plotting, programming
extension, all again included
- in $99 for Linux Intel platform.
- The reason that demo is available only from time to time: because of
significant workload we carry
supporting LinuxCAD on great variety of platforms , supporting and regularly
synchronising demo version would
waste our efforts, although we looking to release demo at a time and place
of our choice.
- LinuxCAD is something every Linux user can benefit from and not only
designers and drafters.
- LinuxCAD in our opinion will give entirely new face and capabilities to
your Linux desktop,
moves it one step close to Linux worldwide dominance.
Robert Weaver, President
Software Forge Inc. (makers of the leading CAD product for UNIX and X/Windows), http://www.linuxcad.com
Copyright © 1999, Robert Weaver
Published in Issue 41 of Linux Gazette, May 1999